If you’re in the general business arena, as I am, you will speak most naturally about customers or “ guests. I’ll be doing this throughout the coming chapters. If you’re a consultant, adviser, or counselor, you’ll probably call them “clients.” If you work for a government entity, you’ll say “citizens” or “taxpayers.”
Explore more quotes
Its important as a entrepreneur to get meaningful information from a wide pool of individuals. One way to get them without spending a fortune is to pay attention to ongoing surveys of customer satisfaction This feedback can be gathered in various ways: comment cards, follow-up phone interviews or online questionnaires
No matter what field you’re in, I can guarantee that the people you serve want three main things. First, they want a product or service or other output with no defects. When I talk about defects, I’m thinking not just of physical defects say, a sticky door or a noisy toilet. I’m also including process or system defects
The second step is complying with the customers wishes. The focus here is not on your agenda but theirs. Yes, you want to make a sale. But what is most important is what is on their mind. That is why you say “How may I help you? I’m happy to do so” And then you listen—really listen to see what is front-of-mind for them
There are two warning signals from the staff of troubled companies. The first warning signal is the overuse of the pronoun they. This telegraphe a rupture between departments or between upper and lower echelons. “Well, they won’t let us do such and such,” or “They messed up,” or “They just don’t get it.”
2% of customers simply cannot be pleased. They’re clearly irrational. They want things you can’t afford. Or they want things that will irritate the other 98% But even these people do not give us an excuse to stop being ladies and gentlemen. That is who we are and must continue to be whether others appreciate it or not
'Obama and Biden want to raise taxes by a trillion dollars.' Guess what? Yes, we do in one regard: We want to let that trillion dollar tax cut expire so the middle class doesn't have to bear the burden of all that money going to the super-wealthy. That's not a tax raise. That's called fairness where I come from.
The 'OK Plateau' is that place we all get to where we just stop getting better at something. Take typing, for example. You might type and type and type all day long, but once you reach a certain level, you just don't get appreciably faster. That's because it's become automatic. You've moved it to the back of your mind's filing cabinet.